Music Banter - View Single Post - Brits Vs Yanks
Thread: Brits Vs Yanks
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2006, 12:26 PM   #471 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontRunMeOver
I'd say that the Brits do rave, trance, drum'n'bass, bangra, house, techno, electronic pop, girlband pop etc. better than the Americans do. I'm not even sure that I've HEARD of American bands which play these styles!

Putting Country into the list is pretty ridiculous. There is no reason or use for much country music in Britain, where would you play it? There are no ranches in Britain! No cowboys, no cowgirls and no wide, lonely plains. I could put Northern Soul, Britpop and Pub Rock into a list and say 'the Brits do it better than you'. Its true, we do, but those musical styles are probably as unimportant to Americans as country music is to Brits, so it holds no weight in an argument.

I would agree with rap, hip-hop and funk (probably jazz too) as those are styles which Brits would like to be good at, but mostly aren't. With ska and emo, maybe its more of a publicity or awareness thing, most of the better bands I've heard in these genres have been British.

And heavy metal? Come off it, there are loads of great heavy metals bands in Birmingham alone and, again, most of the best bands I've heard have been British. Metal seems to be more of a tribal thing, so its maybe not surprising that Americans would not be so aware of the British metal and vice versa.
Heavy Metal was born in England, anyone who disagrees with that is simply wrong.

You can also add prog rock, pyschedelic rock, britpop and post punk to that list, all of which have had some kind of impact on american music...And while punk argubably began in the states with The Ramones, it exploded in the UK with The Clash, The Sex Pistols, The Buzzc0cks, The Damned...Thats where it became a worldwide phenomenon.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote