Music Banter - View Single Post - 2018 Album Favorites: Anteater Reviews 'Em
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2018, 11:46 AM   #58 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

^ The understated psychedelic elements really sealed the deal for me.

9. Kikagaku Moyo - Masana Temple

Genre(s): Psychedelic Rock, Acid Folk

Sounds Like: Can, Ghost, Acid Mothers Temple, Flower Travellin' Band, Fleet Foxes

Although founded relatively recently, Kikagaku Moyo have a deft, entrancing approach to psychedelia that makes them sound like decades old masters at the practice. And, for what it's worth, the hype is definitely well deserved: they come across as one of those missing link ensembles that dwell between the breezy classic Krautrock of Can (their early 70's period) and the harder edged sound of, say, The Boredoms at their mindbending peak. My favorite cut actually shows up in the second half: the dreamlike and vaporwave-tinged 'Orange Peel', which comes in like a breeze off the ocean and wouldn't be out of place on a "Great A E S T H E T I K Studying Music To Mushrooms" playlist on YouTube.

This particular record (and it's South Korean twin, which will show up later on my top ten) have an amazing sense of atmosphere, whatever your proclivities as a listener. If you haven't picked this one up, you are definitely missing out!

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote