Music Banter - View Single Post - 2018 Album Favorites: Anteater Reviews 'Em
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2018, 03:57 PM   #60 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

^ Haters gonna hate that one, but it has some big bangers.

8. The Black Queen - Infinite Games

Genre(s): Synth-Pop, Ambient, Industrial, IDM

Sounds Like: Depeche Mode, Nine Inch Nails, Ulver, The Dillinger Escape Plan, New Order

Some of you know that I was pretty enamoured by that debut Fever Daydream by The Black Queen awhile back...AKA Greg Puciato's first major post Dillinger Escape Plan outing. Along with two ex-Nine Inch Nails members (Joshua Eustis and guitarist Steven Alexander), Puciato really channels his inner New Romantic to wonderful effect with this project. Where Infinite Games differs from the first album, however, is in a willingness to embrace a more consistent overall mood and sense of experimentation across the breadth of the songs, feeding into what feels almost like a concept record at times. Like Trent Reznor, some tracks here explore abstract textures that border on postmodern electronica (like 'Your Move') instead of going for dark pop grandeur.

That's not to say there isn't some hooky fun to be had. 'Thrown Into The Dark' is a killer mix of NIN-production theatrics and late 80's Depeche Mode that might have had a home on the charts back then alongside Fine Young Cannibals and the like, though Greg and friends are far better songwriters than some of the usual suspects. The bouncy IDM flavored 'Spatial Boundaries' and emotionally pulsative closer 'One Edge Of Two' have some fairly compelling melodies too, though your mileage will vary depending on how much you like this album's bass-heavy style.

This album was one of my most anticipated for 2018 overall and it ended up delivering in spades. If you aren't struck by a massive sense of immediacy during your first spins, don't fret: this is wraithlike, beautiful music that will blanket you like a moss before your none the wiser.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 12-26-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote