Music Banter - View Single Post - Reading Log, Bitch
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mondo Bungle
Prepare 4 the Fight Scene

Default The Little Free Library

You could make a solid case for this being a redundant thread since I already had the reading log but then again it's not 2018 anymore, and in that thread I was reading books I actively sought out at real libraries and such. But due to the immense late fees built up on my account I can no longer check out items and most likely never will be able to in this county again, but in this living situation a man's gotta read. I'm kinda bummed out that I was reading so tough before coming down here then just like, stopped. But anyway, this thread will focus on whatever random junk I pick up at the Little Free Library.

Apparently there's a lot more of these than I thought and I couldn't find any picture of the one I will actually be exploiting but that's the gist of it. Naturally, especially when you have a literary taste that comes more out of left field, you may imagine the books that do get left in here are gonna be by lame nobodies or extra lame somebodies, but I have been surprised by some novels already, most notably The Paying guests, a slow moving portrait of forbidden love I probably would not have checked out without the intriguing praise on the back for a totally different book. I was already immersed before realizing that though.

Anyway, my first acquisition was already a fairly entertaining jaunt of comic depravity.

The Big Bamboo by Tim Dorsey, 2007

This sort of comic crime thriller I feel like comes around a lot but this wasn't bad. I actually liked it a fair bit. It has a very Thompsonian nature but gone Hollywood over Vegas, and it's generous with the hilarity. Moves quick but manages to spark a bit of intrigue here and there and goes into mystery territory with all these separate plot lines that don't seem related but you know, they are. That's how books be.

Interesting to note the main protagonist here (and it's not his only hurrah), is a manic serial killer with a penchant for gratuitous film references. So the bad guys are the good guys.

3.5/5

*epic guitar solo blasts into my face*

DAMN IT MONDO

Last edited by Mondo Bungle; 04-30-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Mondo Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote