Music Banter - View Single Post - Sounds from Innerspace
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 06:04 AM   #671 (permalink)
innerspaceboy
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
It sounds good but it also sounds like he just wrote about whatever the **** he wanted to write about.
Fortunately, that's a liberty one has when writing for 33 1/3. But I'm a sucker for the stringing of seemingly unrelated things into an intricate network of organization and creating (a semblance of) order from chaos, so this was right up my alley.

He's certainly demonstrated his proficiency on the subject of nonsense. (And that's actually a compliment in this circumstance.)

The old meme applies to both the author and to myself.

You know that I love organizing data. In fact I spent my day off yesterday digging up a 2010 proprietary music database system, recovered an old process guide I'd authored to force it to work in a Linux environment, grappled with several years of software evolution and virtualization, and rebuilt the DB from scratch with my current dataset.

It was a purely nostalgic exercise - I'd have to dust off an old :CueCat barcode scanner to enter all the LPs I've purchased in the last four years if I wanted to include my physical media, but the antique system is a simple DB ill-suited to collections over 100,000 entries and really doesn't meet the needs I've developed to represent the data relationally. I just enjoy a challenge.

I'm still working on the better 3D visualization effort I mentioned recently, but am having some trouble putting together the right syntax for a shell script that will compile a CSV of all track metadata including semicolon-delimited multi-genre values and complete file paths. That's what I'll need to import into Gephi and really make this happen.

(I suppose that, in a way, Hayden and I are quite alike!)

Thanks so much for reading my ramblings month after month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote