Music Banter - View Single Post - Lo, Sweet Canon!
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2019, 10:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
windsock
Softest Bullet Ever Shot

Gelba Thrupp - giveawav (2019)

In 1999, famed Irish producer and renowned 'father' of IDM Aphex Twin conducted an interesting experiment in the form of the song 'Nannou', which would occupy the B-side for his acclaimed 'Windowlicker' single. Nannou was about as minimalist as Aphex Twin got, as it was for all intent and purposes an IDM track constructed entirely out of music box samples. No bombastic production, no speedy Amen breaks, just the melodic clicking of what seemed like 10 music boxes cranking out the craziest chimes you've ever done seen.

I think that giveawav, this entire 4-track album, is somewhat similar to 'Nannou', although presented quite differently. For one, it's far more focused on very anxious glitch than any sort of cohesive melody. Secondly, it utilizes a far more minimalist set of tones, which sound more akin to Windows error alerts than anything from convention. They almost resemble the 2009 'album' by Tristan Perich, 1-Bit Music, as these super minuscule sounds dart back in forth in and out of your peripheral. It's a tense car chase through a bite-sized nightmare that fits perfectly in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I don't want to rec you anything, I want you to stop posting actually

Last edited by windsock; 01-28-2019 at 11:37 PM.
windsock is offline   Reply With Quote