Music Banter - View Single Post - Do you agree or disagree with the people that says 80s music is dated?
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2019, 10:15 PM   #35 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
I dunno if things ever really become dated per-se. Otherwise genres like synthwave wouldn't have have such massive followings in 2019. The resurgence in global popularity of stuff like 80's City Pop from Japan is another good example.
Never heard anyone use the term "synthwave" irl and only recently seen a few online use it. It has to be one of those stupid RYM made up genres. Instruments don't get to have their own wave. It's like as dumb as calling 80s dance music "snarewave" cause of the mic'd up snare drum in those recordings. Even stuff like Bruce Springsteen's Dancing in the Dark could be called "snarewave." Funk, Disco and Punk could be collectively known as "basswave" because of the prominence of bass in the mix.

Synthwave doesn't make sense cause everything from 60s Experimental to Progressive Rock to EDM uses synths ... believe it or not.

(mods: can I call something "retarded" without being censured or getting infraction? Cause that is what I want to call synthwave.)

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote