Music Banter - View Single Post - Sounds Natural
Thread: Sounds Natural
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2019, 06:52 AM   #21 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I'm not sure which one I'm more intrigued by: the chainsaw airport or the rock concert helicopter.
^ HaHa! That's clever! I've heard a rock concert helicopter, having been at an outdoor music festival when Bob Dylan was helicoptered in to a backstage landing area - but , yeah, a chainsaw airport I would truely love to hear.
This track has a fair bit of guitar-as-chainsaw and should've been titled "Music for Frownland's Airport", instead of the rather bland "Healthy Colours":-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
The sound of the crackling of a campfire and crickets feels like the sound of comfort and security to me. But the sound of flowing water, like with a small stream or a nearby river or waterfall, I also find quite soothing and calming. Rain though, I absolutely adore the sound of. I live in Florida, and I actually like the sound of the rain so much that I intentionally put my bed next to the glass door in my bedroom that leads out to the back porch. If I've had a rough night, that trickling sound of the raindrops breaking as they land around the porch actually helps me fall asleep. The only downside to me doing that of course, is the temperature. So I have an old black king-size blanket doubling over my curtains to help with the heat since I'd have to get custom curtains made and I ron't really want to spend that kind of money when I can just lazily cheap fix it instead. Howling winds and the sounds of storms, especially during hurricane season when the power goes out, I also find quite calming....which reminds me, I should stock up on some candles and do some cleaning in preparation. Even though I don't have electricity during hurricane season for sometimes several weeks at a time, the lack of electricity really inspires me as a musician because it forces the natural sounds of the atmosphere into place. Sometimes when I was a kid I'd go on long walks at very late hours, 2:30 and 3:00 AM when I was 15 and 16 years old, from the distance I could hear cars passing on the highway, and occasionally the sound of the cargo train passing through downtown....I suppose that's probably part of why machinery interests me.
^ That's interesting, SAM. I think most people like the sound of rain, but you clearly enjoy it to the max. I always get fed up with the sound of rain pretty soon because it tells me that the sun's not shining and it's uncomfortable to go out. Perhaps that's why I like the sound of cables banging against flagpoles: when conditions are right they make a surprisingly loud sound - a clean clacking that I associate with a good strong wind and lots of fresh air.

The bit in bold caught my eye because Leonard Cohen did that too; you're in good company!

Where I live now there isn't a single tunnel or bridge for trains: we have level crossings everywhere and sometimes at night I can hear the goods trains sounding their horns from a track that's about 1.5 miles away. Hear that lonesome train whistle blow....