Music Banter - View Single Post - The Rest in Peace Thread (RIP)
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 07:27 AM   #4769 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

When you turn 50, your interest in obits acquires a sharper focus: How old was this guy? What did he die of? With that pretext, I'd like to comment on recent casualties in this thread:

Hal Blaine: died at 90 of natural causes which makes him, if not the most memorable musician, a winner in some sense.
Dick Dale: died at 81 of heart and kidney failure. Thanks for the live link Psy-Fi. I watched some of his performance, but what I found most interesting was that you recorded it yourself! TBH I think I prefer his classic studio recordings.
Scott Walker: died at 76 of cancer. He was a total heart-throb for girls in the sixties, but it was only from MB that I learned he had reinvented himself. AFAIK that transition didn't make any impact in England, though one Brit newspaper reported that it was "like Andy Williams reinventing himself as Stockhausen."
Mark Hollis:died at 64 "after a short illness from which he never recovered." I'd never listened to Talk Talk until rostasi posted Spirit of Eden, which really impressed me as an album. He lived in the same London suburb that I lived in for 3 years. It's now one of the most expensive parts of London and proudly calls itself a village: