Music Banter - View Single Post - Vio-lence's "Eternal Nightmare" has the best guitar in thrash metal. Fight me.
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2019, 07:30 PM   #32 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo Bungle View Post
Eternal Dirge just sounds like extreme Vio-Lence but also takes all the ideas and expands them so it's only natural I like it better.

also you're technically the pleb in this instance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo Bungle View Post
Vio-Lence is just slightly marred by that thrash riff that's been rehashed 8.63x10^39 times over the years. But even then it still sounds cool.

The album also starts out stronger than a lot of other thrash albums.
This is why you are the pleb. You look to further ideas and assume that they are necessarily superior simply by being more stylistically advanced. Vio-lence are Bonded By Blood perfected and that is all that you need for thrash since thrash is a genre defined by immediacy and virulence.

Clever riffs are neat if they can be integrated into that immediacy in a way that pushes the assault forward, but if all it does is make it more "interesting" then it is a losing proposition. What matters is the ultimate brutality and Eternal Dirge, Watchtower, and Testament simply do not deliver on that front when you have Vio-lence to blow them away. The simple fact is that I'd rather punch someone in the face to Vio-lence than I would to Eternal Dirge and that is the last word.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote