Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2019, 01:47 PM   #22912 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

You know after my last post in the Your Day thread about the guy who snitched on the other guy at work and I think the other guy is hella cool but we're only work friends and I don't know how much loyalty that buys him from me but I feel like it buys him more than is justified by making burgers together, and then I'm watching all these John Woo movies and one of the core themes behind ALL of them is brotherhood and loyalty. But these movies are dumb. They're brilliant in certain ways but really dumb in other ways, and the brotherhood theme is also dumb.

Like, gangsters act like they're blood brothers for no reason other than that it's satisfying for them to be so close and loyal. Cops and gangsters end up finding themselves on the same side but the common ground between them ends up being as meaningful as actual blood relations because it's just satisfying for twisted relations to mean something I guess when they're shooting a hundred people. It's really dumb, but atm it feels kinda beautiful and amazing.

As I said, there's the one guy at work who I don't trust who acted like a scumbag at the expense of this other guy who I'm cool with at work, and all we're really cool about is that I think he's cool and he thinks I'm cool and we talk about video games, and it means nothing and there's no longevity behind it cause we work at a bull**** job where most people quit after a month or two months or a year or whatever, but he has worth that I care about and now that that's being ****ed with I'm feeling like Chow Yun-Fat making a goofy speech to his compatriot while they're in the middle of a firefight about how they're going to get out of this and **** mad bitches in Hawaii or whatever.

It's this total silly feeling of loyalty that seems like it should amount to nothing but it's important because it's important and I don't know if I'd feel the same either about the situation at work or John Woo movies right now if both weren't going on at the same time but it feels like providence somehow. Like John Woo is telling me to stick by who I think is worth sticking by and Burger King is telling me that dumb brotherhood movies are about more than the sum of their parts.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote