Music Banter - View Single Post - Modern Rock In Just Nine Songs
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 06:10 AM   #33 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
For the most part none of that. I don't know how popular Pixies were. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I haven't heard so much of them on radio or wherever else (like at the shopping mall) to say they were overplayed.

If certain fans want to laud their bands like they're rooting for their football team than that is their prerogative. If I poke a little fun at that don't peg me as being "resentful."
(Your mockery of Pixies is so resentful.)

If a band gets over-rated then the over-raters are oblivious fans fanatical about their favorite bands obliviously. It's possible for people to disagrees with the over-rating without it coming down to "backlashing."

If I picked seven bands and seven songs, and they weren't to your liking, I wouldn't consider it backlashing.

No. It was to do with who is doing the influencing on bands e.g. like Nirvana: Pixies or other Post-Punk, and Hardcore bands. If you're under the belief that Pixies was an all influencing band, then fine that is your opinion. Just don't dismiss that there were other bands before them that could have been also influential.
^ Sorry Neapolitan ! I realise now that it looks that way on the page, but I wasn't particularly thinking of your comment when I talked about "resentful backlash". I was thinking in general terms about what happens with over-hyped bands. To me, "backlash" is not even a critical word to be using, but "resentful" is unkinder than it should've been. I wish now I had written, "Popular bands get over-played or over-rated and then comes an inevitable re-adjustment."

As regards "poking a little fun" at an artist - yes, I love to do that all the time. Again, I didn't intend to brand you as "resentful" or complain that you were writing something negative about The Pixies; I hope I'm not that hypocritical, especially when, as you point out, I'd done it myself a couple of posts earlier.

And just for the record: my policy on MB is to be polite to fellow members, but to have the right to say unkind things about artists' public-domain material. IMO that is a price they have to pay for taking their songs to the market place. So please, Neapolitan or anyone else, continue to chip in with opinions; from the scathing or the idolatrous, they are all welcome as far as I'm concerned. After all, sharing opinions is exactly what MB is here for !