Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 03:57 PM   #22920 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

As sad as the Matrix sequels tarnishing the legacy of the first movie is I think the sadder thing is the over-analyzation of the themes of the first movie. The second and third movie suck because they suck in many ways, but the first only sucks if you worry too much about how good it is at being a post-modernist thesis. It's not a post-modernist thesis. I don't know how much it tries to be tbh but that's kind of irrelevant. It succeeds at being a John Woo movie turned up to 12 with the entry level post-modernism acting much the same way as the gangster movie bits of Woo movies do: to be cool and engaging while the movie bides its time until the next super ****ing cool thing. Except they work better because they tie the conceptual bits of the movie with the action bits in a way that makes perfect ****ing sense.

The Matrix is a masterpiece of whatever the hell it happens to be if not exactly what it's trying to do.

And Keanu Reeves really is Jesus irl.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote