Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2019, 06:50 PM   #23114 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Spoiler for one more thing:
One thing that I thought was pretty interesting about the ending was that even though he had confronted all of these very valid social ills, the only result was chaos. I'm fairly certain that this is setting up a sequel, so I wonder if that will churn out a decent foil to this character that has the same enemies but aims for better results or something along those lines.
Spoiler for spoilers:
I kind of think the opposite. I think this movie was nihilistic, partially because the main character is inherently nihilistic, but also because the point it is making is that human nature is inherently nihilistic. I think this is going to be a standalone film with no sequels, or at least it was planned to be. This movie is saying that the Joker is right to end up as he did, but this movie's Joker also has no philosophy as he is merely a reaction to his environment. And that environment is cruel and inhumane simply because it is meaningless.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote