Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2019, 09:33 AM   #67840 (permalink)
Marie Monday
the bantering battleaxe

'Society' is a vague term I'm using because people know well enough what you mean by it, and I'm too lazy to spend my time defining the concept more thouroughly. What I mean by 'the path society wants you to take' is also pretty vague of course. I can best explain it by giving a typical example: someone finishes high school, goes to college, gets a job in an office and a nice suburban home, marries, has two kids, works at least 40 hours a week and spends his/her weekends fishing or playing tennis or whatever. I don't mean having any kind of job in general.

And of course people don't explicity tell you what to do, things are more subtle than that. And you don't get any metaphorical stars because it is taken for granted.

Don't view this as an attack on anyone conforming to that way of life. It's not meant that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
^ Yes that was my experience too - and I was lucky enough to find a place in society that suited me. Society is uncaring in a million ways, especially to people who aren't in the club, but it's like Jim Morrison sang, "Women seem wicked when you're unwanted," i.e. our own personal negative experiences might be making villains out of people who are just neutrally going about their own business.

Society is unlikely to fix all the world's injustices and politicians who present society as a perfect solution to the world's probs are pretty annoying, because afaik that is not neccesarily the role of society. But if you are a part of it, society does give a measure of security, a measure of comfort in what is otherwise a really brutal world - as that poor Into The Wild guy discovered to his cost.
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You sound like Buffy after they dragged her back from Heaven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWP View Post
I want to open a school for MB's lost boys and teach them basic coping skills and build up their self esteem and strengthen their emotional intelligence and teach them about vegetables and institutionalized racism and sexism and then they'll all build a bronze statue of me in my honor and my bronzed titties will forever be groped by the grubby paws of you ****ing whiny pathetic white boys.
Marie Monday is offline   Reply With Quote