Music Banter - View Single Post - Movies You Should Know Because (I Think) They rule
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2020, 05:20 PM   #99 (permalink)
Lucem Ferre
Cuter Than Post Malone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo Bungle View Post

Himizu, 2011

As if Sion Sono hadn't already established himself as the king of my heart with the absolute monument of film that is Love Exposure, already with a plethora of emotions, Himizu is a bit more of a downcast and melodramatic endeavor that hit way too close to home. These two movies have probably made me cry harder than any others. This deals with a boy just trying to be ordinary, and the girl that's a fanatic for him, and admittedly he treats the situation like a huge dick, but I guess he has his reasons. But I've never seen a character break down so vehemently. In the end it's one of the most moving feats of cinema ever.

Noriko's Dinner Table, 2005

A much heavier sequel to Sono's Suicide Club, which was tight in it's own right but not exactly flooring. It takes another look at the club but with a stronger focus on its effects on people. The titular Noriko runs away from home to meet with a perfect stranger from an online forum, which just so happens to be the HQ, if you will, of the club. She falls into a sort of prostitution that revolves around playing the part of an individual's family members, and thusly is exposed to many a shady dealing. Perfect coming of age story.

Cold Fish, 2010

A prime example of the director's darkest humor, a violent painting of a broken man who just wants a good time with his family. Don't expect that to happen. Dude gets seriously pissed. Dead meat and bones everywhere.

Strange Circus, 2005

A bit of an enigma in the director's body of work, leaning much farther towards surrealist horror, but still, Sono has a distinct style and way of bringing emotions to the frontlines. It's about trauma and identity and things of that nature. Great circusy soundtrack loaded with accordion.
I haven't seen a bad Sion Sono movie yet. I've absolutely loved everything he's made.

I also know that the weird talking throat clearing thing from Suicide Club is referenced in a song, I just don't remember the goddamn song.
Lucem, you're right, it's silly to talk about what I would or wouldn't do IRL. Glad you brought it up. Maybe you should write an instrumental about it. I recommend a piano paired with a clarinet. With ambient sounds of you hanging from your shower curtain you ****ing failure.

Art Is Dead. Buy My ****.
Lucem Ferre is offline   Reply With Quote