Music Banter - View Single Post - The Fall
Thread: The Fall
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2020, 10:28 AM   #183 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I like Bend Sinister a lot, but the slower songs are not really The Fall at their strongest imo
Generally elph, I'd agree with you. But honestly when I think about it, my two favorite Fall songs are both slower numbers ("Gross Chapel - British Grenadiers" and "Hexen Def. Strife Knot"). The tendency is that most Fall songs are not slow so in totality, they definitely have a lot more quality fast songs.

Quote:
they sound like lesser Joy Division rather than their idiosyncratic rockabilly garage punk meets angry dissertation
I'm guessing you're not a big fan of their '90s stuff (Code Selfish, Shiftwork, Middle Class Revolt, etc.)? I think your description fits most of their late-70s to mid-80s output well, but their sound evolved a lot over the years. I can see kinda where you're going with the Joy Division comparison in regards to Bend Sinister, but even then, there were songs on there like Dr. Faustus, Shoulder Pads, Bournemouth Runner, and Mr. Pharmacist that would never appear on a Joy Divison LP (they're not bleak enough - way too peppy).

Quote:
don't sleep on Are You Missing Winner either
Oh trust me, I've listened quite a few times and I'm not sleeping on it. But your comment did give me pause and I'd like to retract my assertion that I think it's their worst album. I'd actually have to give that honor to Reformation Post TLC. An album with a few gems but also jam-packed with half-baked ideas. AYAMW would probably be my runner-up for worst album (it would rank higher without Afro-Ibis Man) and Cerebral Caustic would probably be the third worst.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote