Music Banter - View Single Post - Books By Famous Musicians
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2020, 02:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
ribbons
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
That's a great quotation about Araminta Ditch, ribbons, with so many funny details in JL's story. Thanks for the post. It's good to meet another enthusiast of JL's books; I have often wondered why they don't get more attention than they do - but then even JL didn't talk about them much, afaik, especially given that he had a platform to promote them like other authors could only dream of. Perhaps he preferred to keep the writing separate from his career as a musician.
Lisna, it did appear that John was somewhat uncomfortable with his literary success. As you may know, John was guest of honor at a Foyle’s literary luncheon shortly after the publication of In His Own Write (on the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare's birth, no less). A hungover John did not realize he was expected to make a speech – and stood at the mic merely to mumble, “Thank you very much, and God bless you. You’ve got a lucky face.” The assembled literati were disappointed and Beatles manager Brian Epstein cleaned up with a longer speech.

However: John later had the chance to put his oar in when a woman, while asking for his autograph, remarked, “I never thought I would stoop to asking for such an autograph.” To which John stooped to reply, “And I never thought I would be forced to sign my name for someone like you.

ribbons is offline   Reply With Quote