Music Banter - View Single Post - Favourite conspiracy theories?
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 06:34 AM   #355 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
God I just want to shove Jared to the ground and take his lunch money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
That's a hate crime.

Sometimes the quality of the banter in MusicBanter really is humorous. Thanks guys.
__________________________________________________ _________________

My conspiracy theories about the Trump admin trying to undo democracy piecemeal for the coming election are now reaching [MERIT] proportions: I listed my doubts the other day in another thread :

Spoiler for the conspiracy to disenfranchise Americans:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
This is how I suspect the election will go down: the Republicans will use all the voter suppression tricks they have already successfully used in Georgia and elsewhere:
- gerrymandering
- closure of polling stations
- relocating polling stations to places void of public transport
- "typo errors" in polling announcements to give wrong hours/locations etc.
- retweeting Russian media disinformation
- pedantic/intimidating voter registration

They'll also try out some new ones for mail-in ballots:
- reduced funding and service of the postal system
- arbitrary cut-off deadlines for postal votes
- accusastions of fraudulent postal ballots

With all those in place, they'll be in a position to either win some states or to get close enough to demand recounts, etc. The GOP won't flat out deny the election result if they lose, but they'll be piecemeal tipping the playing field in their favour with moves that are, each of them alone, plausably excuseable, for eg. "We had to move the polling station out of town for economic reasons."

And here's how the GOP could plausably scupper mail-in balloting with each move being, of itself, excusable: (i) reduce postal service, (ii) send out a mailshot with a "mistake" giving a ballot dealine of, say, November 10 (iii) on November 5, send out a correction with the real ballot deadline of November 6.

... but today I have a new doubt on the same topic: Does a homeless person have any chance of getting a postal ballot?
If there is no eviction moritorium, millions of people could be struggling with homelessness for the first time in their lives: what are the chances that they will jump through the bureacratic hoops and vote in November? Very small, I should think, and I bet that is a calculation going on in the minds of Trump and McConnell too.