Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2020, 11:10 AM   #23297 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
They're scared of protestors in their area because a Target got looted weeks ago somewhere else.
These counterprotestors are people in Chicago who pushed back against the protestors moving into the Englewood neighborhood, we're not talking about a 'Target looting weeks ago somewhere else'.

I'm sure you're aware of what's been happening in Chicago recently - from a Newsweek article:

Quote:
Widespread rioting and looting erupted on the streets of Chicago after people clashed with police over an officer-involved shooting the previous day.

Hundreds of people were seen ransacking businesses during a period of unrest which lasted several hours across the city from late Sunday into Monday morning.

Dozens of stores were looted along the "Magnificent Mile" shopping district, as well as other areas of Chicago.

Footage appearing on social media showed officers pelted with objects and people breaking into banks by smashing windows with baseball bats.

The violence saw the parts of the city essentially shut down, with the Chicago Transit Authority suspending all train and bus services to the downtown area at the request of public safety officials.
It's not exactly looting alone that the counterprotestors are trying to avoid, as the guy said in the original article:

Quote:
“None of these motherf—ers are gonna be here tomorrow. That’s why I got a problem,” lifelong Englewood resident Duane Kidd, 42, told the Sun-Times.

“If they would’ve gotten something incited with the police, who’s gotta deal with it tomorrow? The community. Not them.

“They’ll be somewhere sipping sangria somewhere. I’m telling you like it is.”
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote