Music Banter - View Single Post - Should Felons be allowed to own guns?
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2020, 04:57 PM   #23 (permalink)
OccultHawk
one-balled nipple jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
Well, I'd def push back on the idea that felons should be allowed access to guns, even if it means going against two of my fave mods:-

My Case: it's not to be vindictive about people who have paid their debt to society, it's about the notion that a person has shown themselves capable of a felony.
Definition, my bold:

Plenty of people are released from prison with almost full rights, but plus some restrictions. I suspect that some aren't allowed passports; someone who constructed a bomb is prob barred from working in the chemicals industry. Pedafiles aren't allowed near schools and have to register address changes, some people have long-term restraining orders, etc, etc.

I'm in favour of giving felons a fair second chance, but losing the right to bear arms is not much of an impedement to leading a normal life imo.
I think if you had experience with released felons in the United States, like working side by side with people on work release programs, or dealing with them as parents of the children you were teaching you really wouldn’t feel like a past conviction is true indicator of future behavior or maybe not even past behavior compared to the general public. The American penal system is wildly unfair and criminalizes both pigmentation and poverty. Leaving them in a permanent disenfranchised second class status is usually what causes people to lash out. I would support intentionally arming them over denying them the right to self defense. Hell, we need people who are willing to put a gun to the head of this capitalist power structure.

Quote:
Yes, as through this world I've wandered
I've seen lots of funny men;
Some will rob you with a six-gun,
And some with a fountain pen.

And as through your life you travel,
Yes, as through your life you roam,
You won't never see an outlaw
Drive a family from their home.
Woody Guthrie

2016 2017 2018 2019 2020

Member of the Year & Journal of the Year Champion