Music Banter - View Single Post - 2020 US Election Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2020, 07:27 PM   #409 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I’m not trying to be defensive but I get that

From wiki

That’s why I mentioned the senate. It’s the two senators whether you’re in Montana or California that kills things.

But it wouldn’t be so bad if we actually honored the 10th Amendment
The Senate is actually a different but related question. I also think it's unfair but if I had to choose I'd rather get rid of the electoral college than reform the Senate.

What you quoted about the electors mirroring the representation in the house still doesn't quite factor in that both are structured to favor small states over large states. But only the electoral college has the confounding factor that in most states (the ones who are winner take all and vote either consistently red or blue) your vote for president literally doesn't matter. This means the vote of most Americans is utterly meaningless in presidential elections.

Also to be clear getting rid of the electoral college doesn't affect the 10th amendment, which only states that powers not specifically designated to the federal government are assumed by the states. This has nothing to do with the procedure of federal elections.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote