Music Banter - View Single Post - Architecture
Thread: Architecture
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2020, 08:02 AM   #404 (permalink)
Plankton
Just Keep Swimming...

The smoke stack at the Old Joliet Prison reminds me of that a bit. We were even commenting about it while we were there last weekend.

Friend: "What album does that remind you of?"

Me: "Animals, of course."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joliet...ctional_Center

That bulge towards the top is deterioration and there are bricks that fall every now and then, so they've closed off the area around below it somewhat. Other structures are failing as well. The roof of the west administration building on the property has collapsed, and the cost of renovation is over $1M. The east facing façade of it is bowing outward and ready to fall, but if they get funding and do manage to fix it before it falls it'll save them from having to bull doze the entire thing. I met the structural engineer in charge of renovation while I was there last weekend. Great guy.

You can see the damage through the windows of the top two floors. When we first started doing events there 2 years ago, quite a few of the players were up on those floors exploring when they weren't supposed to be. They had it fenced off for a reason.

We're talking about having the course open for an entire week next year, where people buy one-week passes, which will allow more people to be able to experience being within the confines of this awesome piece of history. I just hope they can manage to get the funding to keep it safe. We're helping with our events, but it's a drop in the bucket.