Music Banter - View Single Post - The queer corner
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2020, 10:49 AM   #568 (permalink)
ribbons
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
Yes, that is very heartless, especially as it sounds like your great-uncle was making a very difficult and brave statement.

Off topic, but you made me think about how we learn family history. When we're young, it's understandable if parents report the bare dramatic bones of a story, like a tabloid newspaper headline. In my case, one story I learned from my mum was: Man dies of heart attack at age 45 after playing squash

I never asked about this guy but was also never told any more than this, even though it was my uncle. Instead, when appropriate, this one fact would be rolled out again - the guy's entire life reduced to one sentence. And over the years, my mum's focus seemed to imply a disapproval that accumulated like this in my head:-
a mistake
a stupid mistake
a stupid mistake to place importance on sport
a stupid mistake to place importance on masculine sporting prowess

RIP my uncle, who I now wish I had asked about properly.
Thanks, Lisna. Yes, I agree that my great-uncle was making a very brave statement. I wish I knew him. I'm sorry to learn of the circumstances of your uncle's death and how such information gets suppressed in families, with negative connotations. As you stated, "the guy's entire life reduced to one sentence." May your uncle rest in peace. He has a wonderful nephew in you.
ribbons is offline   Reply With Quote