Music Banter - View Single Post - The Couch Potato: Trollheart's Televisual and Cinematic Emporium
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2020, 10:05 AM   #575 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Star Trek Discovery (Science fiction)

When I saw the first episode of this, I really didn't like it but then some time later I happened to come across I think it was episode five, and was much more impressed, so started going back and then once I'd seen them I continued and was really getting into it when it ended. I have season 2 to watch and I believe it's on season three now, so much to watch.

Verdict: 10/10

The Family (Drama, mystery)

Interesting idea behind this. A kid believed murdered 10 years ago returns to his family, supposedly having escaped his tormentor (believed originally to have been his killer and then released when it's clear you can't be a murderer if your alleged victim walks into his house) but questions hang over his identity. Is it actually him, or is someone playing one hell of a game of cat-and-mouse, and why? Sadly cancelled after one season, so I don't know how it will end, but it's good viewing.

Verdict: 9/10

Manifest (Science fiction, mystery)

A plane believed missing returns after five years, and suddenly everyone on board seems to have strange powers. After the initial euphoria of their unexpected return, suspicion turns to fear to paranoia. Two seasons so far. Have only watched season one but loved it.

Verdict: 9.5/10

The Passage (Horror)

Vampire story which seems to infer that they are created as a result of a laboratory-created virus meant to be a cure-all, and the vampires then (anyone?) run amok and try to destroy mankind. Was doing well but a kind of rushed ending, while satisfactory, still left me anyway wishing that they had commissioned a second season. They didn't.

Emergence (Science fiction, mystery)

A young girl found among the wreckage of a plane seems to have certain powers, and not be who she seems to be. Shadowy government agencies are after her, and it's up to the smalltown cop who rescued her to protect her. Or is it the other way around? Cancelled after one season, but to be entirely fair, it ended well.

Vagrant Queen (Science fiction)

The most fun I've had in years. Super hip, funny, tipping a nod and a wink to slacker culture, based on a comic book, and of course destined for cancellation. Worth making sure you don't let the single season pass you by for sure. Should have run and run; we need more sci-fi like this on TV.

Verdict: 10/10

FBI (Crime)

Apart from having the worst and laziest title I have ever come across, this is of course about an FBI team who do what the FBI do, and its spinoff FBI: Most Wanted is similar, except that they go after, well, the FBI's most wanted. Enjoyable hokum from the makers of Law and Order etc.

Verdict: 8.5/10 (for both)

Roadkill (Political thriller)

A somewhat tired idea of a politician climbing the greasy ladder and the things he will do to get there. Stars Hugh Laurie. It's all right.

Verdict: 7/10

Taggart (Crime)
Old eighties show that I used to watch and thought I'd go with it again when they started running it from the first episode. Turned out not to be anywhere near as good as I remembered. Hard-as-nails cop plods the beat in Scotland. Meh.

Verdict: 4/10