Music Banter - View Single Post - The Relationship Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2020, 11:32 AM   #34 (permalink)
Plankton
Just Keep Swimming...

I've been a single Dad for 23 years. My daughters mother was a beautiful person inside and out until prescription drugs took ahold of her when our daughter was 3, so I separated my daughter and me from that equation and haven't looked back.

Before all that, I was put in jail for things I didn't do (like hitting herself over her head with a brick and telling the police I did it as a small example), beaten on, had my little girl ripped from my arms while her mother was creaming "You'll never see your daughter again... blah blah.." as my daughter was screaming for me, mocked, ridiculed, and quite a few other things I might be repressing or don't feel like sharing here. She went absolutely mental and still is. She OD'ed a few months back, which she's done too many times to count through the years, and when my daughter did visit her mother, I'd sometimes have to pick her up from some random police station because her mother was shoplifting for drug money. Insanity.

The one constant through all of it though was me telling my daughter that her "mother loves her very much, and she just needs to work things out right now". I needed to be strong to guide my little girl through that darkness. This has proven to be one of the truest statements and one of the best gestures towards any sort of healthy relationship between all of three of us. When her mother does get moments of clarity, she's very apologetic and her love for her daughter finally shines through. It's heart breaking actually.

I don't talk about it here, but I raised one helluva kid on my own through compassion, understanding and a lot of love.