Music Banter - View Single Post - 21 Albums For 2020
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2020, 08:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

^ Hell yeah, an early Merry Xmas to ya'll lovable mooks.

9. Wailin Storms - Rattle

Genre: Swamp Rock, Post-Punk, Bluesy Doom / Sludge
Put On A Playlist With: Killing Joke, He Is Legend, Danzig

These gents play an interesting game of contrasting musical chairs with their approach from song to song - sometimes they remind me of a swampier Killing Joke-meets-Danzig. Sometimes they channel something like Johnny Cash through the lens of Joy Division but with contemporary production. And then sometimes both approaches blend together into something harder to categorize, like on the churning rollicker Teeth or the creeping but intensely listenable Crow. However you slice it, Rattle is a strong album and surprisingly approachable in it's relentlessness.

8. Andrew Weathers Ensemble - The Thousand Birds In The Earth, The Thousand Birds In The Sky

Genre: Folk, Jazz, Avant-garde, Drone
Put On A Playlist With: Bohren & Der Club Of Gore, Indian drone classics, early 80's experimental Pat Metheny, Mansur

OH pointed this group out on a post awhile back, and I immediately had to have the entire discography. Just amazing experimental music with weird free jazz flourishes that are filtered through an almost Jon Hassellian compositional tendency, but focused around Appalachian folk or something. Really beautiful, engaging yet stark sounding stuff that lights up the brain as you digest it. Unassailable, as our fine feathered friend likes to say.

7. Hedvig Mollestad - Ekhidna

Genre: Heavy Jazz-Rock, Instrumental Progressive Rock, Hard Rock
Put On A Playlist With: Tomasz Stanko, Al Di Meola, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Night Sun, early Santana

Norwegian guitarist makes her move this year via this badass, rather fiery jazz rock assault on the senses. Very meaty but full of intricacies that characterize it as something potentially special in the overall landscape. There's touches of dissonance here and there among the spazzed out solos and improvisations that add intrigue to the color scheme, but in general this is just a fun listen for anyone who likes the bite of an older era with a different spin.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 12-03-2020 at 08:57 PM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote