Music Banter - View Single Post - Suggestions for a 14yr old rock fan pleeeease
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2021, 11:29 AM   #105 (permalink)
Eleanor Rigby 14
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
You are.

So you’re tackling The Velvet Underground & Nico

Lyrically and musically that’s a lot at 14 but you can do it. Other posters here don’t agree with me entirely but some records are unassailable. That means they’re entirely beyond criticism. I know they teach you the difference between fact and opinion in school and that your take on art is an opinion not a fact. But what they don’t tell you is that there is art that transcends our right to think critically of it. The Velvet Underground & Nico is one of those. It’s perfect. We’re lucky to share the planet with a creation so beautiful. For you, it’s not even a matter of liking it or not liking it. As a person you are a part of a universal bond with a work of art of this magnitude. You already love it. It’s not about what you think about it. It’s about finding the you that’s already in there that already loves it. It’s a journey of self-discovery and not one of a musical discovery. The music has already been discovered and the jury is in.

Just stick with it. Close your eyes and melt into it.
Yeah, I guess it wasn't a very good idea to listen to "The Velvet Undergound And Nico" just after "Please Mr. Postman" by The Beatles.
I've liked it, I didn't understand it very well, but hey, there's still a lot of time, but it's good that I'm already familiar to it.
I know that this doesn't have much to do with the topic but:
I didn't like Stairway To Heaven at first, it sounded really boring to my ears. And I tried many times, but I couldn't really enjoy listening to it although I knew it was a good song, a great composition and there was a great work behind it. So I sort of stopped listening to it, but I came back after. And I loved it, I think I never enjoyed listening to a song so much. It was like listening to it for the very first time. I don't know if you like Stairway or not, maybe you think that it's an overrated piece of garbage like many people do, but what I mean is that there's still a lot of time for me to discover new things and change my opinion 'bout music I didn't get before. I used to think I was never going to like The Wall, but here I am listening to it almost everyday while doing homework!
Eleanor Rigby 14 is offline   Reply With Quote