Music Banter - View Single Post - Second Amendment Discussion
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2021, 06:49 PM   #25 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Yes. If the government completely disarms I will too. I genuinely mean it when I say I want to ban all guns. There has to be a sane process though.

Right now we have a system that allows power hungry senile angry narcissistic lunatics (and that’s ANY president) access to the nuclear football. That’s insane. There’s a starting point and it’s not my revolver. My revolver is literally last. But unlike other gun control advocates I have a sincere position to eliminate ALL guns and all weaponry from the planet. I believe in banning ALL guns.
let's just do a magic potion to make people less violent while we're at it

You're playing in a purity politics contest while "other gun control advocates" are actually trying to get something done.

So you can have your purity. It means nothing. The fact of the matter is yes while obliviously we would be better off without citizens owning guns, that's not in the cards because of the constitution and the political realities of america. And while we might even be better off without any governments or militaries existing in a hypothetical paradise where humans can be trusted not to rape and pillage... We live in the real world where that is once again a non starter.

So in the meantime we have one issue which we could look at which is that the homicide rate in the US is much higher than other western countries because of the prevalence of guns and because of how easy it is to leak guns onto the black market through straw purchases.

A true way to do gun control in an effective manner is like mindy said, maintaining a proper registry/database of legal guns and making it harder for said legal guns to change hands without setting off a red flag. That could at least make it not as easy to get illegal guns with the serial numbers scratched of sold for the expressed purpose of committing gang murders that can't be traced through ballistic forensics.

But of course instead of that we will debate the hypothetical possibility that we need our guns to fight off a tyrannical govt and how said database is just the first step of the govt systematically disarming the populace so they can freely trample on our rights. So, in short, we deserve every shooting that happens because we **** our selves over with these pointless culture wars instead of trying to pragmatically solve a very real and obvious problem.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote