Music Banter - View Single Post - The "Good News" Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2021, 11:34 AM   #101 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
oh.. yeah I didn't quite get that comparison either. I like three 6 yeah
Also... With regard to 3 6 being in the same family as No limit... Its funny cause they both have the sort of low budget production and are both southern so I can see some similarities there, but I wouldn't exactly put them in the same family for a number of reasons.

3 6 is closer to the horrorcore type genre where you have a lot of crossover appeal to people who maybe don't usually listen to hip hop. A lot of white fans of 3 6 etc who don't follow hip hop as a whole, because of their sort of cult following.

No Limit is not a group with a dedicated cult fan base like 3 6. They were underground for a time but only locally. When they blew up, they blew up big and dominated the rap charts for a good year or 2 with dozens of high selling albums. Then they were almost immediately replaced by cash money and have languished in rich obscurity ever since.

Its not common for people to retroactively get into no limit. Not saying it can't happen but that's not their legacy. Their legacy in hip hop is impactful but actually skewed pretty negative by most people. Where as 3 6 mafia is more of a fringe group.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote