Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official "Music Was So Much Better in the Glorious Days of Yore" Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2021, 05:10 AM   #873 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

I reckon on a very basic and simplistic level you have two types of music: the first being what you might call, not meaning to be unkind, wallpaper music, that is, music you just listen to for the tune, beat, melody or to dance to, and don't pay or have to pay or are expected to pay much attention to the lyric. Your average dance or pop tune (though not by any means all of them) would probably fall into this category, as would a lot of disco music from the seventies, much of which was just concerned with getting people out on the dance floor and telling them in the lyric to have a good time.

Then there is the more "serious" music, with deeper, more meaningful lyrics and a message to impart. You get this in everything from punk to prog and metal to new wave. Most songwriters, if not just writing to a formula to get into the charts and make money, like to write lyrics that make people think. They have something to say, and they want to say it. This sort of music can be enjoyed on a deeper level, the kind of thing where people listen to and even learn the lyrics and perhaps then contemplate what they're about. In general, I would think, this is more the music than can move you emotionally - positively or negatively - and which may mean more to you.

Both types of music are fine, but I prefer music that has something to say. Of course it should entertain, or at least be listenable - that's probably the primary goal of music, from classical on down - but personally I believe it should also have something more in the lyric than ooh baby i love you etc.