Music Banter - View Single Post - Law Enforcement in your area
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2021, 05:31 AM   #12 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

Widely known and reported, but unfortunately I had a personal run-in with some immigration police when I (unbeknownst to me) breached a regulation: I changed my passport so had to transfer my visa to the new one, NO ONE told me I couldn't go out of the country until I did that and I had a business trip coming up which I went ahead with. When I came back to Malaysia they sent me to immigration where the officers proceeded to harangue and threaten me with deportation for about 10-15 minutes, repeatedly asking me why I had done this and if I wanted to ruin my life and be kicked out of the country, either to put the fear of God in me, or out of pure sadism. I was bewildered. I never experienced such helplessness in the face of power before. All I could do was listen and be extra contrite in the hopes they would show mercy. I understood there how dangerous it was to have ignorant and uneducated people in positions of authority. And also how unprotected I was.

I had this awareness also when I was living in Dubai, where the slightest transgression will get you deported.

It gave me a new appreciation of countries whose civil servants, police etc, may not be perfect, but are not beyond reproach and where you know exactly what your rights are.

Last.fm
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote