Music Banter - View Single Post - The Thread of Cancellation
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2021, 11:39 AM   #291 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundgardenRocks View Post
Using hip hop to push a gay agenda? I've never heard that one.

Hip hop in my experience contains a lot of homophobia/homophobic slurs. Or at least it used to.
Yeah well the board I used to frequent before MB was more hip hop oriented and there are definitely people who think hollywood is using hip hop to break down the masculinity of the black man... I'm not saying it's right but there is that perception.

Basically hip hop is one of the last bastions of unapologetic masculinity and bravado in modern pop culture.. in an era where said macho posturing is being seen as more and more taboo/problematic

Hip hop was one of the longest standing pillars of this ethos precisely because it wasn't as receptive to white feminists criticizing it for being too misogynist. Said criticisms were perceived as just another white dismissal of a black art form.

But as time goes by and the culture shifts, hip hop and the black community in america have evolving attitudes towards things like lgbt/feminist issues and we're seeing a generally more accepting environment than would've seemed possible 20 years ago.

But there is still the inherent bravado that is implicit in hip hop and cannot be erased because it is intrinsic to the art form. Hence Cardio B comes out with WAP and feminists say ah she's empowering women. She's just using the same frame work males used to talk about hoes but with inverted sexes. The bravado remains in tact. Same with this lil nas x song. There's nothing sappy or apologetic or attempting to pull at your heart strings about it, like that old Macklemore song which was just corny. Lil nas X just leans in on all the decadent and satanic imagery on top of the gay **** and this once again keeps the bravado in tact.

Obliviously, people who are predisposed to conspiracy thinking, religious mindset and conservative mindset are going to recognize this antagonism against their world vote for what it is and as such perceived it as more satanic brainwashing set forth from on high. From whoever it is that looks out that eye at the top of the pyramid.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote