Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2021, 09:21 AM   #24440 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
This is serious apparently. I mean, come on: it's a cartoon show! Are we that up ourselves that this has to happen?? PC society gone mad? Or am I wrong?
Hank Azaria Apologises for Voicing Apu
I don't take any pleasure in disagreeing with you, TH, especially, as you say, "it's a cartoon show". Still I think Azaria's apology is a decent gesture, for 2 reasons:

1. Architecture. You learn early on that the most satisfying way to use materials is to let them be and look like themselves. That's why real flowers are nicer than plastic ones, and why this type of stone cladding is not very convincing. Everyone can work out that it's a brick house:

2. I suspect that there are not a bunch of job opportunities for actual Indian voice-over actors, so to have given the job to HA is a missed chance to spread the wealth of the entertainment industry around a little more. I don't want to use today's "woke" attitudes to beat up people who made what used to be perfectly acceptable choices for their era, but hasn't there often been a racially-exclusive undercurrent running through the entertainment industry, as these examples illustrate:-

How did they advertise for these desirable acting jobs, I wonder?

Starring role for Dr. Fu ManChu in new movie (no Chinese applicants please)

Unemployed professional dancer? Great opportunity to join the long-running Black and White Minstrals - but only for white minstrals, of course.

Without a second thought, I've enjoyed the Apu character for years but now that your news story brings it to my attention, I feel kind of sad about the casting choice because I know there's a poor Asian guy sitting in a bedsit in Hollywood who was denied his big breakthrough.