Music Banter - View Single Post - The Discography Ranking Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2021, 10:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

billy woods (not including Super Chron Flight Bros or Reavers)

S: History Will Absolve Me, Terror Management, BRASS, Shrines, Haram - History Will Absolve Me is woods' true opening statement. Literally covers a whole world of subject matter over really grimy production with no misses. Terror Management marked woods going into exceptionally cryptic territories that have insane replay value. Shephard's Tone has his best lyrics. BRASS was a huge positive surprise with Moor Mother and they both bring their a-game for their best output. The production on it is dark, atmospheric, and perfectly complementary to each performer. Shrines and Haram had Armand Hammer refining the high watermark they set for themselves in Rome & Paraffin and excelling. If I wasn't picky this tier would be more crowded.

A: Rome, Paraffin, Hiding Places, Today, I Wrote Nothing - Rome was where Armand Hammer introduced their standard uncompromising dark sound with ultradense lyricism. It Was Written, Fanon's Ghost, and Dianetics are among woods' best output. Paraffin carries on this idea, favourite tracks are If He Holla, Vindaloo, and Rehearse With Ornette. Incredible records that don't quite hit the S tier because some tracks are a bit underwhelming. Hiding Places is near perfect, but the features on the album bring it down a tad bit. Spongebob, Houthi, Bedtime, and Red Dust are some of the standouts on the album. Top notch storytelling, just the right amount of abstraction, weird but nonabrasive production, always a good listen.

B: Race Music, Known Unknowns, Furtive Movements - Race Music and Furtive Movements have some of Armand Hammer's best tracks like Soft Places and Frog and Toad Are Friends. They were still finding their footing and some of E L U C I D's early vocal experiments don't land. With Known Unknowns, woods tried to put a hook in every song and it definitely helped him grow but didn't always work out. Better Blockhead production here, but still a bit underwhelming.

C: Dour Candy, Camouflage - Camouflage has some really great dark production and moments with Vordul Mega, but the tracks run together in a forgettable way. Dour Candy has great lyricism but Blockhead's production is pretty lame on it.

D: The Chalice - lacks vision and the production isn't that great. Also my least listened to woods album so maybe I should give it more time.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote