Music Banter - View Single Post - Utilitarianism
Thread: Utilitarianism
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2021, 02:46 AM   #26 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
not true at all

there's a pretty immediate and visceral response in most primates (I think) towards something perceived to be unfair for example

I don't think there's some kind of Utilitarian calculation going on, we just don't like injustice
I don't disagree with you with regard to it not being based on utilitarian calculus.. or in other words we don't work out said calculation when making moral decisions. like I said I think all these systems are basically ad hoc rationalizations for something more instinctual. But those instincts can also be intrinsically based on a sort of evolutionary cost benefit analysis which goes back to the same question of utility.

So if you say we have a visceral reaction to unfairness that's no difference from saying we have a visceral reaction to suffering.... Both of these can be framed as "bad outcomes" and once again fed into a sorta question of utility

Like the deeper question is why do we have visceral reactions to these things... And I think that essentially it's because they're implicitly associated with negative outcomes

Like you said before even these concepts you say have inherent value don't have infinite value... I would argue the extent to which they don't have infinite value is the extent to which they can lead to bad outcomes when left completely unrestricted.

Like the reason that the inherent value of truth breaks down with regard to an example like the Jews in the attick... The only reason it breaks down is because the outcome it leads to there is so obviously negative. Or do you have some other explanation...?
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote