Music Banter - View Single Post - History of Places You've Lived
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2021, 03:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
DianneW
Music Addict

Exclamation

WOW.....feel like these places are something from another world..except the Netherlands of course.that is very typical European to me..having previously been viewing the Explore America Official small towns and cities Thread that is what made me start this one I guess...

Croydon just a stones throw from Beddington but very different as an Established Town it was already very built up....
Remember the Elephants Marching almost, though the town...
One-off circus events may well have been held in Croydon but, as far as I am aware, there was never a regular event.
Here is the
Elephants walking around the Lombard Roundabout in the 1960's

..Grants...One of Three large department stores within a stones throw from each other that were full of' in the main' goods we could not afford...but we visited all three..Allders and Kennards where the other two stores, Kennards with their Arcade was like a Magical place to be...
My late Dad talked of the zoo next to Kennards way back but in my child years we had pony rides in the Arcade and all kinds of stalls selling cheap wares..Xmas Grotto was our of this world..as a child...
When Cheetahs Dined in Croydon
Croydon was a good place in the 60's but to me it is the pits now...they are still to this day feeding the town with new Millions of £..

There is a link that shows how it went over the years..down and down even David Bowie's comments...
David Bowie wanted to summarise all he found dreary, drab and stifling, there was only one place he could turn. “It represented everything I didn’t want in my life, everything I wanted to get away from,” he told Q magazine in 1999. “I think it’s the most derogatory thing I can say about something: ‘God, it’s so *ucking Croydon.’

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...the-last-laugh

I had moved away to the South Coast.. Bexhill on Sea in 2000...pleased to get away from the area by then...the riots of 2011 just viewed that on the TV
...not just in Croydon either as the real cause was the Police had shot dead Mark Dugan in North London a mixed race young male his parents where mixed Irish and African Caribbean descendants... 2019 the final conclusion the Police were innocent.....of course, it was always going to end in tears for the families and friends..

Trying to think of anything good about Croydon now...can't...but certainly some unforgettable memories....
DianneW is offline   Reply With Quote