Music Banter - View Single Post - Four Green Fields: Trollheart's History of Ireland
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2021, 08:01 PM   #64 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Welcome to my journal Dianne, and thanks for commenting.

As an Irishman I have been brought up with an innate dislike for, if not to say hatred of the English. I live in a Republican area and it used not to be anything surprising to see words like IRA and BRITS OUT chalked on painted on walls around where I live. Once I was playing a classical CD and Elgar's "Pomp and Circumstance March" came on. I had to quickly reduce the volume before someone passing thought I was playing "Land of Hope and Glory"!

In this journal I've tried not to be one-sided about history, to see things through the eyes of both the protagonists, but it's hard to be sympathetic to the English, when you see how they trampled over everyone, not only the Irish - the wars of Scottish Independence are coming up next. I also lived through The Troubles, and that sort of thing leaves its mark on you. It's hard to be objective when you're so close to things. Nevertheless, I'm not shying from the atrocities the Irish perpetrated, and I'm certainly not naive enough to think that everything was the English's fault. But at the same time, we never set out to conquer or oppress anyone, so that tells its own story.