Music Banter - View Single Post - History of Places You've Lived
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2021, 10:18 AM   #35 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
What was that like? I've often thought of running away there just to get a job at the Burj. (loved skyscrapers since I was a kid)
If you love skyscrapers, it's mind-blowing. Certainly blew my tiny island village mind. First time I road through Sheikh Zayed Road I thought I dropped into the future. Plus Burj Khalifa and Dubai Mall and the fountains. Plus the desert, first time living outside of Europe, Muslim country, quite an experience. It's also very American in the sense that you need a car to get everywhere, it's full of fast food joints and obese people. High quality of life but very little culture. People go there to earn a lot of money and go back to where they came from. It's a transit place, and you can feel it, it doesn't have a real city vibe, nobody is "from there". No real soul. Gets a bit boring after a while. Plus all the limitations of living in a Muslim absolute monarchy/dictatorship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
I'm extremely jealous that you lived in Milano! It's always been a dream of mine to go to Italy. My grandmother was from Trieste, and I've always wanted to travel there and seek out her birthplace.
Italy is amazing in general. Milano is probably one of the more boring cities architecturally but everywhere you are in Italy you are maximum 30 minutes away from an amazing small town. I think it's probably the most interesting country in the world (architecture, history, food, nature). The only minus is the people. At least in my experience, with due exceptions of course.

I'm also lucky that Rijeka, Croatia (where I have an apartment) is 1h from Trieste and 2 hours from Venice...I visited both places many times. Croatians go to shop to Trieste, some even to buy groceries...it's a nice city.

Last.fm
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote