Music Banter - View Single Post - Comedy is it Universal at all?
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2021, 12:37 AM   #39 (permalink)
DianneW
Music Addict

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Nobody got it because tosser doesn't mean the same over there (possibly doesn't mean anything) as it does here, so no joke. Clever, but the correlation between the wording and the picture goes over their heads. I thought it was mildly funny, but not hilarious, but that's because I know what a tosser is...Well wanker surely means the same universally so that is what tosser is for the un imformed..

Come on, Dianne! It makes it look as if the duck has bent the bars of the gate and walked through. That's why it's funny..
.ducks have little strength, except the males during mating time, then the males can lift there game to new heights, the green beak brigade show who is who then. two's up time..winner takes all..haha

So you've answered your own question there. No, comedy is NOT universal, though sometimes something is just naturally funny, like someone slipping on ice or walking into a door. Even if we want to tell ourselves oh no, we're horrible people if we laugh at that, it's our first instinct to do so.

But comedy varies not only by country but also by person. You might think something is hilarious and I would not, and vice versa. It's all subjective, so it can hardly be universal.

Quick poll: who finds this funny?
yeah your right though about jokes etc., it is not really universal but we can all laugh at bad stuff as well as good.....just not necessarily the same thing...one day it seem hilarious and another day WTF...life aye...
p.s. yes the sketch was funny, he has been in so many progs. was good in Holby City a Hospital Drama could have been a real drama having read this a while back..is it funny well not exactly, but made me grin...
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/...n-window-ledge

Last edited by DianneW; 06-10-2021 at 11:58 AM.
DianneW is offline   Reply With Quote