Music Banter - View Single Post - The Thread of Cancellation
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2021, 02:28 PM   #406 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
Not familiar with the details of this particular case but I think we can all agree that when someone of his stature forces unwanted sexual interaction on an up-and-coming comedian, there is a power dynamic at play and an abuse of that dynamic.
Yes I'm glad we can agree on-

Quote:
When a young woman knows (consciously or in the back of her mind) that she can become the focus of a news cycle and get a tell-all piece in Buzzfeed by representing an unsatisfying, “yucky”, but ultimately consensual sexual encounter with a famous person as abuse - isn't there some sort of “power dynamic” at play as well?

The benefits don’t have to be as tangible as “I’ll get X out of it”. The shot of self-righteous adrenaline we all get out of the sense that we’re telling the Truth, exposing abusers, dragging something hidden into the light, that’s a stronger motivator than whatever Buzzfeed can offer. Not to mention that obtaining the publicly conferred status of a victim is not without its benefits.
Oh god damn it...

Considering the character assassination and public scrutiny that gets leveled at accusers of public figures I'd say it's pretty skewed to look at it as a benefit to anyone to do this, and after countless media spectacles that have dragged countless women through the mud I'd say any woman would be well aware of the tiger they're grabbing by the tail.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote