Music Banter - View Single Post - The Thread of Cancellation
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2021, 04:58 PM   #419 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
No, nothing like that, I'm just lazily paraphrasing one French pedophile without any of the historical exposition or rhetorical buildup and flair that make his arguments so compelling.

Which doesn't mean that there isn't something to it.

The act of truth-telling is the most powerful thing there is, it's the stuff people die for (so not all fun - still powerful). And a major, maybe the major site of truth in the world we live in happens to be sexuality. To take one example, THE most momentous event in the lives of many young people today is posting a confession-style monologue about discovering the truth about your innermost gender to their instagram or twitter, about how deep inside you're they/them. The details vary but the reality is that you're compelled - by the ambient voice of our culture - to spill your guts out about your sexuality these days.

I can't see how the way you make sense of and narrativize your sexual experiences would be free of those pressures.

Which is not to say that most or even many of those making meetoo claims are lying or significantly misrepresenting what went on. Or that speaking out about sexual abuse, real or imaginary, is "rewarding". But there are more dynamics at play than predatory guys who prey on their victims.
Given the statistics this amounts to a smokescreen for abusers though. It's not helpful and however illuminating it might be is squandered when historically speaking there's always a market for a smokescreen for abusers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
so he's gotta get a McDonald's job now or what
That's between him and God. Maybe next time don't pressure women for obviously creepy sexual favors whose careers depend on your good will.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote