Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums that turn 50 this year
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2021, 01:59 PM   #21 (permalink)
Eleanor Rigby 14
Music Addict

A Space In Time by Ten years After

TRACKLIST
1. One Of These Days
2. Here They Come
3. I'd Love To Change The World
4. Over The Hill
5. Baby Won't You Let Me Rock n' Roll You
6. Once There Was A Sky
7. Let The Sky Fall
8. Hard Monkeys
9. I've Been There Too
10. Uncle Jam

I confess that I’ve never loved Ten Years After, and there’s almost no way I’ll become a fan of their music. I know I’ve said this about millions of bands. But in this case it’s different, cause I can’t really see anything original with Ten Years After. It’s clear they (mainly Alvin Lee) had the same influences as Page, the Allman Bros, Clapton, Jeff Beck, Peter Green or Rory Gallagher, but these artists had originality and creativity, things that Ten Years After lack of, in my opinion. It’s like when you compare the Carpenters with ABBA or the Bee Gees. What I mean is that they are hooked on a specific style, played in a “correct” way. Now, there’s actually nothing wrong or annoying with their music, but I miss some feeling, soul, emotion or whatever you may call it. Well, Alvin Lee, apart from being the guitar player, could sing, and he did it very well, that’s one of the few positive things I can think of. I can also remember I was once watching a movie, then a song came in and I recognised Alvin Lee’s playing (the song was “50,000 miles beneath my brain”), but still, I don’t think they had a distinctive sound. The album I’m going to review has only 10 tracks but it’s very “irregular” because it goes through many ups and downs, but after hearing the whole thing, it leaves you with a general positive opinion about it.
So “One Of These Days” (don’t confuse it with Pink Floyd’s instrumental track from another 1971 album) is our first track and is standard blues rock, basically like most of the whole album. Same thing can be said about “Here They Come”, the second one, although I think this one’s better. Things change with the following 2 tracks. “I’d Love To Change The World”, is in my sincere opinion, undeniably the best song Ten Years After ever recorded with a huge difference over the rest. They literally owe their whole fame to that song. Well, not really, but the fact that we, young people, know something about them, is because of that specific song. I wouldn’t go as far to consider them a one-hit wonder, because it’s not as if the rest of their songs are trash, but they never reached that level again. I think the lyrics are really important here, as it discusses social and political problems, holding strong positions against war, probably the Vietnam War, or at least that’s what I understood from the lyrics. The next one’s a bit like something you would find in “Houses Of The Holy” by Led Zeppelin, not only because the title is “Over The Hill”, but also because suddenly, after half a minute, a string orchestra comes in, which is quite surprising coming from the blues rock band Ten Years After are supposed to be. Actually, I think this album was really influenced by Led Zeppelin IV, it’s clear that the band is trying to drive towards a balance between acoustic and electric sounds. “Baby Let Me Rock N’ Roll You” (track no. 5) is the kind of song that makes you think that at any moment Alvin Lee’s gonna sing the following lines : “You broke my will, but what a thrill, goodness gracious great balls of fire!” About the next song, “Once There Was A Time”, it’s like a typical American song, like the typical ones that would appear in films about cowboys. “Let The Sky Fall” is better, the intro is pretty good. However it becomes a little repetitive until the solo begins. But everything gets even better with song number 8. “Hard monkeys” is my second favourite track here. That fuzz guitar solo is just great, and also the acoustic guitar intro is also OK. As I said this album is a bit irregular, so the ninth song, “I’ve Been There Too”, isn’t remotely as good as the previous one, although the chorus is a bit catchy. And we arrive at the end of the album. The last song, “Uncle Jam”, is the only one that wasn’t written by Alvin Lee, in fact it was written by his other 3 bandmates. It’s just an instrumental track, more like a kind of “jazzy” guitar solo. It’s nice to hear, so, as I mentioned, it leaves you with a positive opinion about the album in general.
Overall rating: 7.5/10, and I think I’m being generous.
Would it be successful today? Yes, because there aren’t really any successful bands playing this genre, but many people (both young and old) kind of enjoy this style, and although I’m not sure about the album in general, “I’d Love To Change The World” would be a massive hit, maybe even more successful than when it came out in 1971.
Eleanor Rigby 14 is offline   Reply With Quote