Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2021, 08:23 PM   #23888 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Happiness - The most rancid thing I've ever seen in my life. Astonishing, really, and surprisingly humanizing of its monster characters. Gotta say I expected the parents' plots to be much darker. After watching this I just want to watch to sit in a quiet room and drink a glass of water.

Fantastic Planet - An absolute delight! The story is resolved a bit too quickly, otherwise the animation, message, and sheer alien creativity made this an all time favourite.

Parasite - I thought this would be one of your dryer satires and was glad to be surprised by how much of a gutbuster it was.

The Holy Mountain - Bro how can you be one with the universe and participate in that much animal cruelty come on. I'm pretty down with Jodorowsky's philosophy of putting yourself through tribulation, abandoning ego, etc to be able to better connect with the universal consciousness and that psychedelics can be a useful but dangerous tool to accomplish this. Wish this film had better sound.

Hausu - Absolute eye crack cocaine. The silly camp factors had me rolling (the cat meowing to the music lmfao) and the mirror sequence/WWII subtext ****ing floored me. Guess I gotta see everything this guy's done now.

Sorry to Bother You - Rewatch with a friend. Caught some more of the references this time around (didn't know about Blood in My Eye when I first saw it) and (SPOILER) loved the part where he was in the police van and the point they were making about how they were trying to frame the situation for him to compel him to hopelessness. Can't wait for the next film from Bootsy Collins.

Inland Empire - This has been my favourite Lynch movie for a while because it's just so extravagantly...Lynch. Had my first watch where I really felt like I was actually getting (most) of what he was trying to get across and it's just a goddamn powerhouse. The scene with her neighbour and the one on Hollywood Blvd are hard to top. Still making my way back through his filmography, so we're yet to see if this is still my favourite Lynch film but it still feels like a solid choice. I'm fairly certain I prefer it to Mullholland Drive, at least.

12 Years a Slave - Loved McQueen's films leading up to it but never got around to watching this one. I thought I was familiar enough with harrowing slave narratives but this film handled it in a way that didn't feel stale or oscarbatory. Thought it was excellent.

Coherence - Dogme 95-inspired scientific thriller where a comet makes things all fucky at a dinner party. Excellent writing, Mike's part was especially provocative.

Spoiler for theory:
Did the people who showed up late pass through the dark zone before they got there? Were they even from the same universe? There is also the part where Mike thinks Laurie was a yoga teacher and she doesn't remember him being in Roswell.

More on Mike: I'm unclear on whether Mike left the note, "freaked out" as he put it, then killed himself, or if it's two different Mikes leaving the note and attempting to murder his other self.

Vivarium - Clever and entertaining, has a lot of the canned pitfalls of American comedy though.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote