Music Banter - View Single Post - Thoughts on Electric Light Orchestra
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2021, 06:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

I don't share your hatred of "Telephone Line", bob, in fact I love it. But you shouldn't miss out on what is a really good album just because you don't like/dislike/hate one track. That album has some great songs - "Do ya", "Livin' Thing", "So Fine" - a great opener in "Tightrope" and a great closer in "Shangri-La", to say nothing of the close harmony acapella in "Above the Clouds."

There are plenty of albums - well, a few - on which I hate one song, but that doesn't stop me from listening to and enjoying the album. At times I want to kill, disembowel and eat Gary Moore (yes I know he's passed on already) for writing the piece of unmitigated garbage that is "Teenage Idol" - I hate it with the sort of passion I reserve for things I really, really, really hate - but I still listen to Victims of the Future. I'm not terribly fond of Abacab but I don't refuse to listen to it even though I despise "Whodunnit". You shouldn't, in my opinion, cut off your nose to spite your face by refusing to give an album a chance just because you hate one track.

Anyway, in these days of digital albums you can surely arrange to buy or download it minus that song? Or, you know, just skip it? Up to you of course, but you really should give the album a chance. It's pretty damned good.