Music Banter - View Single Post - Greatest Pop-Punk Albums
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2021, 02:59 PM   #53 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoDavid View Post
Americana by the Offsprings has to be the best pop punk album and it has a funny song called "pretty fly for a white guy".

Other great songs from that album included "The Kids Aren't Alright" and "Why Don't You Get A Job?".
How could you mention that album without mentioning "Pay The Man"?

Besides, that album as a whole isn't even in their top 3. "Why Don't You Get A Job" is a Beatles rip off. "Pretty Fly" is cheesy and annoying and began a trend of goofy singles that they'd produce in succeeding albums ("Original Prankster", "Hit That" [the worst one]). "She's Got Issues" has issues lyrically. "Walla Walla" is downright tedious.

As for their best albums, it's gotta be Smash and Ignition. Hell, even Conspiracy of One was a more well-rounded album than Americana was. Oh yeah, can't forget Ixnay on the Hombre - that's a better album too, and the singles are great on that one. The silly songs ("Mota", "Cool To Hate") work much better than any of the silly songs on Americana. I will admit though, "The Kids Arent Alright" is a great tune.

I've seen The Offspring live twice. They were pretty good both times but way too focused on the past - very singles focused live band. I'd love to hear "Dirty Magic" live, but I don't think it'll ever happen.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote