Music Banter - View Single Post - Sounds from Innerspace
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2021, 06:23 AM   #812 (permalink)
innerspaceboy
Music Addict

Default "This is a journey into sound."

"This is a journey into sound."

Just dropping in for a quick collection update - My holy trinity of 1987. The two singles were featured prominently on mash-up culture mixes and retrospective surveys of early hip hop / dance music. The full-length LP is the rare debut album by The KLF, (Kings of the Low Frequencies / Kopyright Liberation Front), then performing as The Justified Ancients Of Mu Mu, and would be impossible to release in today's litigious music market.

They faced similar challenges in August of 1987, when The Mechanical-Copyright Protection Society ordered The JAMs to recall and destroy all unsold copies of the record. The JAMs made a bonfire in the Swedish countryside and burnt the LPs.

Pictured:

- Eric B. & Rakim ‎– "Paid In Full (Seven Minutes Of Madness - The Coldcut Remix)"
- The Justified Ancients Of Mu Mu (The KLF) ‎– 1987 What The F***'s Going On?
- Bomb The Bass ‎– "Beat Dis (Extended Dis)"

Interestingly, both "Beat Dis" and "Seven Minutes" contain samples of "Train Sequence" by Geoffrey Sumner (1958) and "Pump That Bass" by Original Concept (1986). And all three of these releases were first issued in 1987. Furthermore, M | A | R | R | S' hit, "Pump Up The Volume," also released in '87, shares its namesake titular sample with the Coldcut "Seven Minutes" mix, each lifting the spoken-word vocal from Eric B. and Rakim's "I Know You Got Soul" from their debut Paid In Full LP released earlier that same year. Whosampled dot com cites no fewer than 437 songs that went on to sample the classic hip hop track.

The Coldcut Remix is filed under Hip-Hop, "Beat Dis" is House/Breaks, and 1987 is Leftfield/Plunderphonics. Each is a milestone in the history of DJ culture.

#keepthisfrequencyclear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote