Music Banter - View Single Post - The Confessional Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2021, 11:00 AM   #4121 (permalink)
Plankton
Just Keep Swimming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
Speaking of people who don’t deserve it: I’m so sorry that you and Hanna had to endure that abuse. It’s a credit to you as a father that you put her first and went to great lengths to protect her. Hey, there’s a reason why she’s turned out so well.

In a way, it’s a blessing that our children have had little contact with their father (although I would’ve preferred they had a healthy relationship and tried to foster that – but it’s just not possible). I’ve had sole custody of them, and he’s not capable of looking beyond his own needs so as to be inclined to interfere in their lives.

Thanks for your kind words, Plank – and for sharing your experience, which I know is not easy since that can sometimes trigger bad memories.
No worries ribbons. That's all in the past, and Hanna and me have moved well beyond it all. Hanna still see's her mother (who recently OD'ed again I might add) from time to time, so she at least has a relationship with her. I've always told her that even though it may not appear to be the case on may occasions, that her mother still loves her very much. One thing I've learned from personal experience is to foster understanding and acceptance of a child's parents no matter what. I was denied that and was taught to hate my Dad, who I later found again and developed a beautiful relationship with later in life before his passing. Only in certain extreme cases should a child be kept from their natural birth parents. Those are the most important, organic, and personal connections a child/person can have.

You seem to have a healthy grasp of that concept too, which isn't surprising. You're one of the good ones.