Music Banter - View Single Post - Architecture
Thread: Architecture
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2021, 03:13 PM   #491 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Thanks for putting together such an interesting post, Dianne! I love the photos of the faces carved in wood. Back in the old days people built with such inventiveness and detail it's hard to believe. How many hours work, how much skill, is there in just one of those faces?!
I've heard about the ancient origins of the Green Man before, but was surprised to see that there are traces of the same guy in Europe too.

Not the most spectacular Green Man pub, but it does have the honour of being a pub that I used to drink in on a regular basis:-

It is on a heath with a Roman Camp about half a mile a way. The heath is an area of relatively high, relatively dry ground on the edge of London and today it has a big roundabout (plus underpass) where two A-roads meet. My guess is that it has always been an area to meet; for ancient Green Man celebrations, for the Romans, for medieval travellers, and for latter-day pub goers like myself, cavorting naked at midnight under the watchful eyes of The Green Man, god of procreation.