Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2022, 07:17 AM   #23952 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

^ Welcome to MB, RMNT ! We have very few members from Eastern Europe, so I hope you will stick around to give us some international perspective.
Sorry to rather jump past your post on this occasion, but I really wanted to continue the discussion about this movie that has recently turned up on the streaming website, Netflix. Do you have Netflix in Lithuania?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss View Post

Don't look up (2021)

Critics are apparently divided on this one so I came into it a bit apprehensive but I ended up enjoying it. Depends on how you feel the satirical humour. For me it worked, I thought it correctly portrays what could (and does) realistically happen with human civilization if/when faced with a potentially catastrophic event. It could be applied to the pandemic, climate crisis, a world ending meteor headed towards Earth. Human stupidity + never ending pursuit of profit = disaster. An apt depiction of our times and state of mind.
Thanks, ando, for articulating a vague disappointment I was feeling with this movie: "No consistent visual style". But in other respects I thought it was a very good movie. It tackles yet another "imagine this" apocalyptic scenario, but neatly avoids all the usual clichés. (The one that springs to mind being "Hero desperately helps loved ones escape disaster".)

If you've seen the movie, you may find Brian Cox's comments interesting. (and if you are wondering who BC is, I would describe him as the British N deGrasse Tyson). This clip is well worth watching imo. It's not a nerd's nitpicking about "That rocket has the wrong type of bi-lateral stabilizer"; instead BC gives us some calmly-explained insights into "life, the universe and everything" (to quote Douglas Adams).